Friday, December 3, 2010

A Perverse Desire To Do Something I Shouldn't

Sometimes I have a perverse desire to do something I shouldn't. Mom was always yelling at me for running up and down the stairs. Thank goodness she never found out about the scissors in my pocket. Moms are always trying to do that, yelling about "playing in the creek during rainstorms... blah... blah...blah..." Never seemed to stop my brother and I from trudging home, covered in thick mud. Sometimes, the best moments in life come from a "shouldn't."

The forecast had been calling for rain the past few days and I kept mumbling something to my wife about "alternative workouts". I knew, for certain, that a Friday ride would be out of the question. I made plans in my head, weighing the gym versus the rim trainer. I knew I really needed saddle time now that I am on a racing team. I had myself almost convinced to ride the rim trainer but the session I had a few days ago still had me emotionally scarred and I just couldn't bear the thought of staring at the kitchen floor, puddled with little oases (had to look that one up) of my sweat.

The clouds looked like they wanted to break open and pound out what little grey matter was left in the cavity under my helmet. I peered up and contemplated the clouds and the voice in my head said, "Don't go." So, of course, I went anyway.

For me, some of the best rides are when the weather looks threatening.  I threw on some rain gear and joined the three other brave souls on the trail. The ride was awesome!  Not only did I stay dry but a normally busy bike path was virtually empty.  The air was clean from rain earlier in the day and the temperature was surprising pleasant. When someone greets you with "It's a beautiful day!" You don't normally envision gathering coils of storm clouds. But for me, it was a beautiful day.    

The reward for braving the elements today, a beautiful view of Nimbus Dam and the encroaching rain.
(Hey, pretty good for an iPhone shot, eh?)


No comments:

Post a Comment