Thursday, March 31, 2011

Protein On The Go! Yet Another Recipe for "Hundred Ways Chicken"

We promised you more recipes for use with your Hundred Ways Chicken so here we go...

We are on the road a lot and fast food is expensive, the quality is hard to control -or just a scary unknown- and easy to get tired of. When I am done with a race and I am driving back home I like to have my own recovery meal packed instead of stopping somewhere. It's also nice to be able to have a grown-up bag lunch for work after I do a lunch ride.









 








 







When we bake our big batch of chicken we usually bake several boneless skinless breasts with a few bone-in skin-on thighs. The thighs go to our toddler who loves thigh meat and we shred the chicken breast for ourselves. When the chicken breast has cooled enough but is still warm is the best time to shred it. I like to place several breasts in a gallon freezer ziploc bag and seal it closed with a bit of air and then shred the breast through the bag. It's a lot less messy that way. We will often get out several sandwhich sized ziploc bags and pre-weigh 4 ounce portions of chicken breast into "on-the-go" baggies. One of these bags will make a perfect size GT Chicken Melt (400 calories) or you can use it in a sandwhich or a wrap. Here is one of my favorites:

Packable BBQ Chicken Wrap
One 4 ounce bag of shredded chicken breast (130 calories)

2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ Sauce (I like Bullseye for this. 50 calories)
One tortilla (White flour is what we use for the kids, I like wheat. 120 calories)
Add a desired "extra" (For ease of packing I like to use a slice of Kraft American cheese (at 60 calories) but I will often use fresh avocado when I am eating this at home.) 
Nutrient totals for this version of the recipe...
Total Calories: 360
Protein: 34g
Fiber: 4g
Carbs: 32g

Sugar: 13g
Fat: 9g
Sodium: 847mg


That morning pour two tablespoons of bbq sauce into your baggie of chicken and work it through. Slide a packaged slice of cheese and a tortilla into a gallon ziploc and you are ready to travel. When you are ready to eat just dump everything into the tortilla and enjoy. Pretty darned easy and I love the taste. Depending on what I put in the wrap I can know exactly how many calories I am taking in.

2 comments:

  1. If you are trying to lose weight while still feeling full, remember that the chicken is what is going to make you feel full and the tortilla is just a container. You can find wheat tortilla's that are about 50 calories as well. You will feel just as full while curbing a few extra calories.

    Or if you aren't worried about losing weight then you can apply those calories to another topping...

    ReplyDelete