Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lance's Retirement???

I am far from a Lance Armstrong expert but I have followed Lance through-out the years; I've read his book "It's Not About The Bike", I've watched his races and even bought a Livestrong helmet last week. After watching his career and his star rise I have to wonder what he is going to do now that he is "re-retired"? He says he wants to focus on his family and charities but he likes being in the spotlight and being in the spotlight is what fuels the interest for his charities.  He is only 39 and he is several years removed from his last tour win.  His star is fading fast.  I thought he would continue with domestic races, but maybe that isn't the case. Now that he is out of racing, how does he maintain his lifestyle and the public's interest in him?

Are there truths to the doping rumors and he figures it is better to get away from the sport? (Gads, I hope not. The last thing we need is another athelete-hero going down in flames for doipng his way to the top.) He made the statement that if he had been doping he would have been caught after so many years and I have to give him that point. Either he is clean of there has been a massive cover-up to protect the man who has done so much to help make cycling such a huge, lucratic mainstream industry this century.

It is ironic that at 39 he is retiring while at 37 I am just getting my racing career started. Well, folks, I guess it's my turn to wow the cycling world now.  ;)  Let's see what I can do at Snelling in about a week on my old Allez. (This outta be good....) 

No comments:

Post a Comment