Monday, February 28, 2011

Put a lid on it!

Keeping the lid on.
Like many families in Folsom, our household is dealing with a nasty bout of the flu. I was lucky enough to be able to race at Snelling over the weekend but since then I had to focus on taking care of family and work so the blog has been on the back burner for a couple of days. Not to mention that I know I have a lot to post about the race and all the events leading up to it and these will be longer and more involved posts. In the meantime I do have mention a disturbing trend I have seen the past few days of riding.  There have been a large number of what I would call "serious cyclists" riding along without helmets.

Yesterday I thought it was a fluke.  Since it was Sunday, there were a lot of people on the bike trail to begin with.  So the eight riders I saw going without helmets may have not been that many compared to the total number of riders.  Then I saw another five more cyclists (all geared up in riding gear) going without helmets today. Most had some sort of cycling cap on instead.  I find this hard to believe because anyone who is seriously into cycling know that freak accidents can happen to anyone at anytime.  It doesn't matter how long you have been riding, how skilled you are, or how careful you are; squirrels happen, unseen road hazards happen, rapid joggers happen. You can be the most experienced, observant cyclist out there and the road could rise up to meet in a way not meant be the friendly Irish blessing. We are all vulnerable and all of us has *someone* that would be hurt if we were injured with a cracked skull. I am not sure what is behind this trend but I wish it would stop because I have little desire to see someone's unprotected melon after it has met asphalt at any speed.  Be safe and keep that helmet strapped on.  

Next blog stop... The Road to Snelling....

2 comments:

  1. I tell riders without a helmet to get down on your knees and bang you head on the ground as hard as you can. If it does not hurt don't wear a helmet. If you continue to not wear a helmet at least sign up as an organ donor.
    Also I see many kids wearing their helmet as a beanie. Like when they fall they are going to twist around and hit the back of their head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog and totally agree. Keep it up and the lid on.

    ReplyDelete