Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dork Moments and Soggy Trails

 
American River Bike trail between Hazel and Fair Oaks Footbridge 12/16/2010

The trail was starting to dry out after our most recent deluge so I was practicing my newly acquired cornering techniques that I learned last weekend at the Body Concepts skills clinic. It should be noted that while parts of the trail were mostly dried out, some areas were soggier than ever.  In fact, it would appear that the American River bike trail is trying to appeal to triathletes as well as runners and joggers.  Since my swim skills aren’t so good, I decided to stay on the bike and take a detour. 

Other than a bit of floodwater dodging, things went really well on the ride.  Well, I had only a couple of “dork moments” on this ride.

Dork Moment #1. I was navigating past two cyclists who were riding side by side on a curve while attempting to dodge a jogger on the other side of the trail at the same time.  There was actually plenty of room but I became so focused on not hitting the jogger that I ended up travelling right towards him. (Momentarily forgetting “Point to Remember #2” in my previous blog titled “Chicken-N-Curves”.)  I hit the brakes hard and corrected, but I was sure glad I haven’t received my Body Concepts gear yet so I didn’t make the team look bad. 

Dork Moment #2.  I was on my way back home and spaced out a little -something I’ve been known to do on occasion- and didn’t do the best job handling a corner. At first I went a little bit wide, then I corrected and wobbled a bit doing the correction. An oncoming cyclist looked a little nervous as we passed each other and then I noticed that he happened to be dressed in Body Concepts gear.  I didn’t recognize him and hope he doesn’t recognize me. (Of course, now that I have mentioned it, like a dork, he will probably find out it was me. Sorry, dude. I’m new.)

It’s a good thing I am getting my racing legs during the winter when a lot fewer people are around to see me. I will continue puddle dodging and practicing my new found skills so hopefully by the start of the racing season I can make BC’s black and gold look good.

3 comments:

  1. Classic! We have all had those moments. They make you concentrate more, have more compassion for riders newer than yourself and keeps the famous cycling ego in check. I think congratulations are in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point, I am thankful that my focus on the water didn't cause me to ride into the river.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be sure to post a pic of you in your "black and gold"!

    ReplyDelete