Friday, December 3, 2010

Freedom From The Bar!

It was time for a change! One thing I find difficult about riding is that due to holding down a full time job, staying busy with family, and all those hours riding, I end up eating a lot of bars.  Clif, Zone, Odwalla, Balance, etc...  Whatever I can get to replace calories easily.  At the same time, I have a hard time with eating that many pre-packaged bars full of sugar, preservatives, and other mystery ingredients.

When I met my wife years ago I used bars exclusively and then she introduced me to her cran-apple cobbler recipe (which she devised one day when she had left-over whole cranberry sauce and granny smith apples after Thanksgiving). I was hooked. It was a great dessert, a great breakfast and when she packed it on a long ride one day I realized that it could be a great alternative to all of the bars I was eating. The health benefits of cranberries, fresh apples and oatmeal are well-advertised. I asked her to tweak the recipe by using whole wheat flour and she decided to add nuts for more flavor and it has become my favorite way to replace calories.

I am not a nutritionist and I won't say that this is the most nutritious alternative there is out there. What I do know is that it tastes great, I feel and perform great with it and like that the ingredients are fresh and in my control as far as purity and quality. It refridgerates, freezes and reheats like a dream so you can make a month's worth a head of time - pre-cutting portions that you can grab and go. This also makes a great contribution to potlucks that kids like and adults go foaming crazy for. My wife has had many people beg her for the recipe over the years and she has only been willing to give it out to a chosen few.   

Dawn's CranApple CobblerThis recipe makes what we call a "double batch (12 servings in a 9x13 glass dish) we estimate that each serving comes out at about 300 calories.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

Bottom Crust
2 cups oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (is there ever a time to measure brown sugar unpacked?)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 sticks of butter (Yep, use the good stuff!)

1. Combine ingredients and press evenly onto bottom of glass baking dish
2. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

 

Filling
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 can Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce (or the recipe from one bag of fresh cranberries)

1. In a bowl mix together sliced apples and cranberry sauce.
2. Layer apple slices and cranberry onto crust (be careful, the sides are still hot!)


Topping
2/3 cup oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (is there ever a time to measure brown sugar unpacked?)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional, pecans or walnuts are recommended)

1. Combine all ingredients in a cold glass or ceramic bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut butter into dry ingredients for a meal-like texture. Try not to over work it as the heat generated can melt the butter and alters the consistency (still good, just not the same)
2. Sprinkle topping followed by chopped nuts on top and bake for 18 – 22 minutes (ovens can vary)

ENJOY!



· You can serve this hot from the oven. Works great as a hot breakfast.
· As a dessert with whip cream or ice cream or plain.
· Once it cools it makes a great snack bar.
· It reheats well in the microwave (only about 15 seconds per serving!)
· Great frozen and reheated!

No comments:

Post a Comment