Thursday, January 13, 2011

Catharsis through Cycling


T
here is so much going on that I have little to no power over. Between world events that I have no say in to the chaos that can be my personal life -juggling kids and exes and everything in between- things can get pretty overwhelming at times.  I could rail at the world, declaring that it’s “not fair” or that “the Universe is against me”. I could harbor anger and resentment because of some unearned sense of entitlement. Instead I ride.   

My cadence becomes a hushed meditation; I focus on the sound of my puffing breath as it cleanses me both physically and emotionally. My anger works away, the adrenaline used instead to make my body stronger pedal-stroke by pedal-stroke. I am able to think about things and find a calm center in a storm of emotions or fears.  

When faced with a world that seems unfair, angry and even frightening; I work on being stronger, faster, better.  Because the one thing I can change; is me.

1 comment:

  1. I think most people can relate. I know I can. Swimming and rowing do that for me.

    ReplyDelete