Monday, January 3, 2011

First Impressions of GoPro HD Hero 960 Camera

As we have been working on this blog I have taken most of the pictures using my  iPhone camera or occaisionally I will take an easy shot camera with me.  Either way, it isn't a convienent way to take photos.  I often have to make several stops which adds to the ride time and interrupts what I am trying to accomplish in my training program.  Also there have been many times that I am trying to capture some animals but they are long gone by the time I get my camera out.

A couple of weeks before Christmas I spotted the GoPro HD Hero 960 Camera at Costco, and my eyes went wide.  I excitedly showed it to my wife and we agreed that I needed one to capture pictures while I ride.  The only problem is the price...  While $180 isn't a fortune, we are heading into Christmas getting presents for 5 kids.  There isn't a lot of money to spare this time of the year.  Fortunately, about a week ago, I was able to sell my motorcycle which freed up funds to fix my mountain bike and pick up the Hero Cam.

The Hero Cam has several different modes.  For my first test I put the camera in a mode that would take a picture every two seconds.  Since I am still learning how to use the camera, I had it start taking pictures when I put my helmet on.  So I ended up with about 360 uninteresting pictures as I headed towards the trail, like:



Here I am looking at my reflection in the window to adjust where the Hero Cam is pointing.

Another exciting shot of me putting my shoes on.

Mr. Jogger...  Yawn...  Wake me when something exciting happens.

While there were a lot of worthless shots, the good news is that the camera can actually take some really good pictures! 



Nice pic of the trail, river, and rocks.


Crossing one of the newer Folsom bridges.

Heading west into the sun, I didn't get a lot of great shots.
   
There were a few mud puddles that day.

More mud!!!!

Okay...  It is less than 50 degrees F out, I could use a little less water in the mud.

With all the mud and water, that water bottle was a little bit slippery.  Had to go back and fetch it.

Better slow down for those critters
 At the end of the ride I had 1,987 pictures to look at.  No, I haven't actually looked at every one.  However I did end up with a number of great shots without ever having to stop and pull out the iPhone.  Next time I head out, I will try the video mode.  Stay tuned for a future blog about the video quality of the HeroCam.... Same Grove time.... Same Grove channel....















No comments:

Post a Comment