Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Have You Seen This Trek?


Eric Taylor (photo by Scott Ivey)

Well, happy New Year Eric Taylor! I wish I could say that 2011 started out better for you. Who’s Eric? He’s a local guy, struggling to make ends meet and get an education in a world that seems more and more hostile and selfish. His life is already full of challenges –did I mention that he is deaf?- that he has to work through but he keeps himself on a positive track by cycling and going on rides with his buddies like the Hammerin’ Wheels Mountain Bike group.

Then just as the holidays were winding up some jerk decided to give himself a belated Christmas present, too bad it belonged to Eric. A 2010 4500 Trek (grey/black) that Eric had just signed up to race this January 23rd.

“The bicycle was locked to the hitch of the truck when it should’ve been in the backyard or something :( “ Eric admits. He explains that he was not driving his regular vehicle “…On that truck i have a master 3/8 thick cable lock, locked to the anchor points (when I get it back I’ll lock it to the hitch because I realized how easy it would be to unscrew the anchor points...) but I didn’t take that cable out and ended up using a different (smaller) cable.”   

Eric called the police and reported the theft immediately and then cavassed the neighbors asking if they had witnessed anything. His search, to this point, has been fruitless and with his first race just a couple of weeks away he is getting frustrated. “Makes me very sad to think about it being gone every time I think about it! I have a race this month and no bike in riding condition ugh!!! EXTREMELY HARD LESSON LEARNED and thanks to the jerk who stole my bike I am now more paranoid than ever about things being locked up. It is now day 5 and I am still making calls, posting signs and asking around in hopes of finding it but I know I probably won’t.”



Eric and his now missing bike at a Hammerin' Wheels ride. (photo by Scott Ivey)
 
We can only hope that the community can come together to help Eric so that we can restore some of his faith in his fellow human. If you have any information or can help Eric in any way, please speak up. You can post to the comments section of the blog or click the button on the front page of www.grovetribe.com to send an email to us and directly to Eric simultaneously and/or contact the local authorities. You can also help tremendously by getting the word out. Forward this information to any group you can, repost where-ever you can. Heck, print it out and post it to your local coffee shop board! Maybe, just this once, a village can make the difference.

Location of theft: Rio Linda/Sacramento area on Claire Ave by Marysville Street
Time of theft: January 1, 2011 between midnight to 7 am

4 comments:

  1. We will be sure to post an update to this article as information becomes available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can someone come up with a loaner for him to race. Also high end bikes are easy to spot on the trail, so everyone should keep an I out. Also it may be too late, but make sure you have pictures and descriptions of all you bike on file and give a set to your insurance agent to keep on file. Home owners insurance will help, but you have to prove you had such an expensive bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no new news concerning my trek :( still keeping my eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Eric. I have been checking craigslist once a day to see if something shows up.

    ReplyDelete