Thursday, April 14, 2011

Off to Otter

Dad and I freezing to death at Sea Otter 2009.
As I am packing -and my wife is baking- our conversation is, of course, all about my trip to Sea Otter this weekend. Sea Otter has often been a fun destination for my family, something my father and I have shared as a way to renew our cycling bond. It may be the biggest cycling event in our region but when I get a chance to go with my Dad it is so much more than just an event.
The scenery is certainly worth the trip to Sea Otter.
He is on his way there now and will be waiting to greet me but this time instead of the two of us being just spectators, I will be racing and he will be my pit-crew, photographer and official GroveTribe support person. This will be my first time racing at Sea Otter and it feels as if I have changed, grown, finally tasting the potential that has been there for so long. It is fitting that he be there to see this transition in my life, like my first steps or college graduation.
In two years I have worn my Chumba shirt into a rag. Need to stop at their tent and get a new one.

I will have two races to blog about when I get back and hopefully a ton of pictures to share in our gallery. (Have I mentioned that my father is one hell of a photographer?) Perhaps I will have more insight to share with my fellow cyclists about what I have learned but most importantly, these will be my ninth and tenth races as a Cat 5 racer. At the end of Sea Otter I will be applying to move up to a Cat 4 rider. So I guess it is a graduation of sorts. This time the funny hat I am wearing is nicely vented and I only hope no one decides to go streaking at the festivities.

So if you see a guy wearing a black “Blood or Mud” or yin-yang chainring t-shirt, or looking devastatingly handsome in my Body Concepts gear, be sure to stop me and say hello. I have plenty of extra, freshly-baked cobbler from my wife to share with you. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment