Friday, April 8, 2011

The Richest Man

I have a race tomorrow morning. Getting my gear ready, making sure all is packed away gets me to thinking about what I have experienced so far. Looking back over my races, I have yet to place in the top five but I feel as if I have already won. In the past year I have experienced more in my cycling life, and progressed further than I ever thought possible in such a short time. None of it would have been possible without the people who surround and support me.
My teammate Brad rebuilds the Tarmac.
By sheer luck I stumbled upon an amazing team of men and women who I have come to admire and enjoy their company. So many of my fellow teammates have come to my aid; they have loaned me their bikes to race, helped me to rebuild or make repairs, carpooled with me to save money on gas and supported me in my racing efforts. I have access to an incredibly knowledgeable coach who takes the time to really understand what my goals and needs are and helps me to fulfill both.

The shadowy form of The Punisher as I visit his lair.
Not all who have helped me have even been on my team. I have discovered a cycling community that has embraced my family and I. Where other racers, far out of my league, not only allow me to train with them but help me understand more about my bike and equipment and help me obtain gear I could never afford on my own.
I have seen my family come out in the worst weather with smiles on their faces and cheers of encouragement for my teammates and I; all without expectations of my performance. Not once have I come in first and yet they tell me that I am their hero and that they are so incredibly proud of me.
At the end, I have a gorgeous wife who greets me with a kiss and allows me to warm my race-chilled feet with hers. She massages away the aches of my efforts with love in her eyes and eagerly takes in every detail of every race and ride, adding her observations and wisdom to help me learn even more than I would have on my own.
Winning the race is not the true triumph. The true victory I have is in the people who surround me.

No comments:

Post a Comment